Sunday, October 5, 2008

Old Crow Medicine Show have done it again.... but not in quite the same way











I've been following this band for some time now. Their latest release , "Tennessee Pusher" is in stores now. The band is Old Crow Medicine Show, and if they've walked a long highway from the disappointment of a gritty and inhospitable Nashville to the sidewalks of some lackluster town in North Carolina they've solidified their huckster ways on their own terms. The road was stark, and lones0me, very much like the path trodden by the dust-bowl era songsters that preceded them. Perhaps it was all that hard travelin' what gave them their high lonesome harmonies and hokum rhythms. This latest release, Tennessee Pusher, finds the band shooting die in some back alley junkie game of craps. It is the rawest and most deeply honest album they have turned out. As much as I adore the tight harmonies and rambling fiddling of "Wagon Wheel", and have certainly enjoyed their second full length album "Big Iron World" (it will certainly remain an invaluable fixture in my collection), I am compelled to say I'm glad to see they've mined the rawest of ore on this latest release.

No comments: